Map your visit
Get out and explore the MHLC Preserves with our new map app! MHLC has launched a new interactive map app! The Mohawk Hudson Maps app, designed by volunteer Bryan McBride, can be downloaded and then used off-line out on the trails at all the MHLC preserves and the Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail. Use the app to pinpoint your location at any MHLC preserve, navigate our preserve trails, measure distances between points, and much more! It’s very easy and fun to use—get started today!
Getting started with the Mohawk Hudson Maps app :
- Open the URL https://mohawkhudsonmaps.org/ to begin.
- Save this online “app” to your mobile device for offline viewing and navigation :
- On an Android device, it should automatically prompt you to “Add MHLC Maps to Home Screen.”
- On iOS Safari, you need to tap the action button at the bottom of the browser and select “Add to Home Screen” to get the home screen icon.
- All maps are downloaded when the app is initially saved to your home screen. They can now be accessed off-line. All the map’s features, including GPS navigation and distance measuring, can also be used off-line.
- Select a preserve from the home page to see the map. When you enlarge the map of the preserve you are visiting, you will see a blue dot marking your current location. As you move along the trail, you can see your updated location on the map.
Features in the Settings Menu :
- In the top menu bar, click the icon on the right side to open the Settings menu
- Here you can select Basemap views :
- Street Map
- Aerial Image
- Topo Map
- You can also see a list of Tools :
- Zoom to Map
- Measure Distance
- Driving Directions
- Open Google Maps
- Additional Info (connects back to our website.)
Using the “Measuring Distance” Tool :
- Move the map to line your start location in the crosshair.
- Double-tap the crosshair to activate
- Drag the map to your next location on the trail, a dotted blue line will appear with the distance covered right above this line.
- Note: The line only makes straight paths, to move around a curve select multiple points.
- Total distance is shown at the bottom of the screen.
Have questions or suggestions? We’d love to hear your feedback! E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the MHLC office during business hours. Please note that MHLC does not view or collect data from the map app.
See you on the trails!